I am an experienced self-directed results-driven software engineer from Falkirk, Scotland. My work is wide-ranging over the entire life cycle from concept to delivery. I’ve worked on small simple projects to large systems with complex bespoke functionality. From full stack web development to conversational voice apps for small businesses, start-ups, major brands, and government programmes.
I currently work for the BBC in their Archives Technology + Services team. We’re creating a cloud hybrid archive and play a key role in the workflow of programme creators — from programme delivery, media movement and storage, and output to iPlayer or playout for TV broadcast. I was previously part of the Voice + AI team creating conversational interfaces for platforms like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and even creating our very own virtual assistant, Beeb. Our goal was to shape a new way for people to interact with the BBC over this new and exciting medium.
Things are always changing. I embrace change and find the evolution of technology very exciting. I never stand still, always looking for ways to improve and new things to learn. I want to learn and be the best I can be, creating things that are the best they can be. I’m dedicated to improving tools, infrastructure, architecture, and ways of working to maximise productivity and quickly respond to business needs while sharing my knowledge and experience to help others on the team.
When not working on projects I spend time reading blogs and experimenting with new things. I listen to rock music, I like mountain biking, football, and baking. I’m a big fan of cars in general (an engineering thing) and I’m a proud owner of a limited edition 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra — the fabled “Terminator Cobra.”
Some of the brands I have worked with include the BBC, Toto Energy, Cycling Scotland, Mercat Tours, STV, Disney, Lex Autolease, Optical Express and many more. If you’d like to discuss an opportunity, then I’d be happy to hear from you.
- Problem solving
- MS Bot Framework
- Generosity — to give and share without thought of return, happy to volunteer my time and knowledge to help others.
- Empathy — to be kind, respectful and understanding to others. To assume best intentions and be positive.
- Integrity — to be honest and open in what I do, good or bad. To take responsibility for my mistakes and do what I can to fix them.
- Innovation — to not blindly follow others or convention, but to be curious, inventive and decide for myself.
- Collaboration — to build strong, resilient, inclusive, cohesive teams where everyone can be their best selves and have a feeling of shared ownership and responsibility. Knowledge and experience count for nothing if you keep it to yourself.